02 February 2014

Cities to visit again (1/2)

A few years ago, the New7wonders foundation launched a voting all around the world through the internet. The objective was to chose the new 7 world wonders. The event had a great success, and in 2011 they repeated the process in order to select the 7 wonders of nature. Now it is the turn of the cities, and after a few rounds the 28 finalists have been selected. The other day I was looking at the list and realized that I have been in only one of them. That made me think about the cities I have visited and which ones I liked the most, why, and which ones I would like to visit again.


Stockholm

It was introduced to me as the ‘Venice in the north’, and if you have a look at a city map, you will understand why. It is a placid city settled on 14 islands, calm, with a historic city center and new areas, with channels and gardens, museums and restaurants. I have been there already thrice and I never get tired of it.

A city to visit in winter...

In spring...


Or summer


With channels...

And art in the metro

Rome


Rome is an outdoors museum, a city full of history. A city there the modern buildings are mixed with Roman ruins, where past and present share the same space. 

The Colosseum, one of the most famous places in the city


Vatican City

Past and present in a single image

It had been a circus, now it is a place to relax

Viena


Viena is an elegant city, a place of palaces, music and gardens. It is a city that I would have liked to explore more deeply, because we were there only for two days so we visited the best known places. I would have liked to explore the other areas, walk along the Danube, and see the less touristic, less Mozart, less Sissi sides of Viena.

Palaces and gardens



An elegant city

Musikverein, where the New Year concert takes place

I like this tradition of filling the balcony with flowers 

Rio de Janeiro


My global impression of the city was that Rio is a city to see from above. When you are inside the city, it is a big city with lots of cars, traffic,  people, a lot of life and good atmosphere. But when I really liked Rio was when I saw it from above: the sightseeing from Pão de Açucar (Sugarleaf) and Corcovado were really amazing.


From Pão de Açucar

From Corcovado

In addition, in Rio you might find forests like this one...

and the Christ Redeemer, magic at night

No comments:

Post a Comment